Turkey Turnovers with Apricots and Almonds
- 1/2 c. long-grain white rice (we used basmati)
- 1/2 c. Sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 c. shredded leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 c. dried apricots (about 14), sliced
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. cilantro, roughly chopped
- Flour for the surface
- 2 refrigerated rolled pie crusts
- 1 large egg
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, spread the almonds onto a separate baking sheet and roast in the oven until lightly golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the almonds to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon and cook for 1 minute. Add the cooked rice, turkey, apricots, and zest and toss to combine. Fold in the sour cream, then the cilantro and almonds.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll the pie crusts and roll each to 12 inches diameter. Cut each crust into 4 wedges. In a small bowl, beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water.
- Divided the turkey mixture among the wedges (about 1/4 cup per piece), placing it on one side. Lightly brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash. Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges with a fork to seal.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with remaining egg wash and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 mintues.
Original article from http://www.womansday.com/food-recipes/food-drinks/recipes/a52072/turkey-turnovers-with-apricots-and-almonds/
Please follow and like us: