The South always likes to do things a little…different. If you live there, you know this already. If you don’t, well, you’ve probably figured it out from years of Jeff Foxworthy jokes and college football reaction videos. Fried food. Sweet tea. Using “Bless her heart” as a polite way of saying “She’s as dumb as a box of rocks.” The South is, if nothing else, a special little corner of America. And if you haven’t spent good amounts of time there, you probably don’t understand a thing about it.
Well, good news, not-so-domestically-well-traveled traveler! Coming up this June, flights all over Dixie will be dropping like Spanish moss off a live oak tree. We talked to our friends at Skyscanner, who looked at painful amounts of historic flight data to find the cities where airfares are predicted to go down in June. And wouldn’t you know it, for once the South came out on top.
The darlings of Southern culture — Savannah and Charleston — take two of the top three spots this month, with fares down 12 percent and 7 percent respectively. If a southern beach vacation is more your style, you can do it on the cheap in Myrtle Beach, where flights drop 6 percent to $192. You can also visit the home of Lynyrd Skynyrd, which is actually not Alabama but Jacksonville, Florida, where airfares are down 3 percent to $304. The rest of the domestic leaders below the Mason-Dixon:
- Savannah, Georgia — $268 (12%)
- Austin, Texas – $272 (7%)
- Charleston, South Carolina — $302 (7%)
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina — $192 (6%)
- San Juan, Puerto Rico — $328 (5%)
- San Antonio, Texas — $308 (5%)
- Key West, Florida — $423 (3%)
- Jacksonville, Florida — $304 (3%)
- Orlando, Florida — $238 (2%)
- Memphis, Tennessee — $344 (1%)
If you live in the South, or it’s just a little too foreign for you, plenty of international destinations will have cheap flights too. Head south…of the border to Cozumel, which leads the overseas pack with flights down 12 percent to $467. If “the South” to you means Southern Hemisphere, June is right up your alley too. Cordoba, Argentina will see airfares down 9 percent to just a smidge over $1,000. But steaks and wine cost like a nickel there, so this will be your biggest expense. Or check out Salvador, Brazil, where a trip will cost you $884, a full 9 percent cheaper than it would be in May.
- Cozumel, Mexico – $467 (12%)
- Salvador, Brazil – $884 (9%)
- Cordoba, Argentina – $1,038 (9%)
- Yangon, Myanmar – $945 (8%)
- Siem Reap, Cambodia – $801 (7.%)
- Chiang Mai, Thailand – $796 (6%)
- Luxembourg – $782 (5%)
- San José del Cabo, Mexico – $389 (5%)
- Hanoi, Vietnam – $925 (5%)
- Marsh Harbour, Bahamas – $445 (4%)
So pack up your bug spray and stock up on Lipitor, it looks like the South is going to be in your near future. Just try not to think too hard about how many calories are in your food.
The post Flights to these 20 cities are about to drop hard in June appeared first on Matador Network.